Old Museum building

The first museum was organized in a two storey building known as the “Old Mandala Mess”, leased from the African Lakes Corporation (Mandala). The building was originally designed as living quarters for the employees of the company. In 1959, the Government leased the building and voted funds to enable the Museums Board of Trustees to renovate and convert the building into a museum. The theme of the exhibits was a general one based on displays of natural history, ethnography, history and archaeology. The museum was opened to the public in July 1960. Presently, the old museum building serves as storage for collections and administration offices. It is also the administrative headquarters of all museum centres in the country.